Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Class

According to a recent survey, the old traditional classes of working, middle and upper class are outdated, and that there are now 7 classes of society in Britain:


Elite, Established Middle Class, Technical Middle Class, New Affluent Workers, Traditional Working Class, Emergent Service Workers and Precariat.



Using the old rule, I would have put myself between working and middle class, closer to working than middle.

Apparently, I'm in the third group, Technical Middle Class, which is
"A small, distinctive and prosperous new class group, that mixes socially with other people similar to themselves, work in research, science and technical fields and enjoy emerging culture such as going to the gym and using social media."

I don't work in research, science or technical fields, I'm in finance! And I wouldn't count myself as prosperous although I guess owning property and having some savings means prosperous these days.

Check out the Class Calculator here - it's not serious, just a bit of fun.


2 comments:

  1. I scored precariat. Bit offended at that. I go to the theatre and museums and all sorts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I scored "established middle class". How boring is that?

    ReplyDelete