Friday, April 28, 2006

AIK, rule OK!

I didn't need persuading twice - when I heard there was a Stockholm derby match between two of Sweden's leading teams, AIK and Djurgården, I just had to get a ticket.

I know nothing about Swedish football but I was supporting the home team, AIK (pronounced "ah-ee-kwor") at the Råsunda Stadion. Black shirts with gold trimmings, hence their nickname, the Black Army and they were the underdogs in the tie.

With an attendance of 34,174, it was a good noisy atmosphere. The game started off slowly, only livening up after AIK were dubiously awarded a penalty and went 1-0 up. In the second half, AIK increased their lead to 2-0 but in the 80th minute, one of their players (who wasn't the goalkeeper) was sent off for trying to catch a goal-bound free kick!

With a one man advantage, Djurgårdens pulled one back, but their fans were still celebrating when AIK buried the tie with a great goal to make it 3-1!

This was no Premier League game, maybe it was like Championship level but it was an enjoyable nonetheless.

Possibly the cleanest football match I've ever been to in terms of language - I'm sure everyone around me were swearing like troopers but I was oblivious to it all as it was all Swedish!

Beers afterwards - too many!

3 comments:

  1. I don't *get* football. Is that wrong? Most lesbians (and here I go again with my stereotypes) love it. Hhhmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it's not wrong since it's not everyone's cup of tea, but LOL! what are you suggesting?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always write 'hhhmmm' when I can't finish a thought.

    Pure laziness and it gets me into all kinds of scrapes!

    Hhhmmm ....

    ReplyDelete