Thursday, November 24, 2005

Fragrant Harbour

Hong Kong - the place was as I had left it over a year ago, only a lot warmer - full of people rushing around, excellent food, steep and winding roads, a beautiful country exotically mixing East (little traditional village life in the New Territories) with West (soaring skyscraper skyline of Hong Kong Island) and a real shoppers' paradise.

So, in brief:

- My family who live out there are all fine. We celebrated my Gran's 80th birthday out there.
- On my 2nd day in Hong Kong, I bought a Sony PSP and a Creative Zen Neeon MP3 player - both bargains.
- By the 9th day, I'd added a Fujifilm digital camera to my purchases - another bargain.
- Was pleasantly surprised to find that my Cantonese wasn't too rusty.
- Was pleasantly surprised to find the boyfriend trying to learn Cantonese (hope it wasn't so he could chat up the ladies...)
- Went on a junk trip (technically not the traditional Chinese junk but that's what everyone calls these little boats) and stopped off at Lamma Island for a seafood banquet.
- Met up with an old uni friend and her baby - we went to the beach at Repulse Bay, which was empty apart for one other couple. Suppose no one really goes to the beach in November, even when it's nice weather.
- Went to Happy Valley for a horse-racing evening - after eight races, made a profit of $40 (around £3...but hey, least I didn't lose!)
- We were in a pub called 'Poets Corner' (Motto - "Going from Bad to Verse...") to witness England's double annihilation of the Aussies in rugby union and then the Argies in football.
- Two Scousers walked into the pub... it's a very small world!
- Went on a mini-mountain hike - got eaten alive by mosquitoes.
- Last minute shopping in Stanley Market - started my Christmas shopping..woohoo!

And then just like that, the holiday was over and we were on the plane back to not-so-sunny Manchester.

The bf is saving up for the next trip already!

** will hopefully add photos to this post if I get round to it! **

No comments:

Post a Comment