Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Tax Free Charity Donations

The Tsunami disaster in the Far East dominates the news and so it should. I cannot even begin to comprehend the suffering of those people affected who live in Thailand, Sri Lanka, Indonesia and the other countries. The tourists, those fortunate enough to survive to tell the tale, once they are able to, can fly back to their comfortable homes in the west. The Thai people, Indonesians, Sri Lankans, they cannot fly anywhere for they have lost their homes.

I cannot help these people personally - the only thing I can do is donate money towards organisations such as Oxfam, the Red Cross and Unicef to name but a few, who will help provide relief to those who have been devastated in this disaster.

For all you tax payers out there (and that's most of us, I'd suspect), it's worth considering checking out CAF (Charities Aid Foundation). This allows you (whether you live in the UK, America or Australia etc) to donate to your favourite charities tax effectively. Hell, we all pay enough tax as it is, may as well ensure that any charity donations are made tax-free.

I've been donating via CAF for many years now - I don't give huge amounts but every pound, dollar etc adds up and I try to do my little bit.

After the Christmas festivities, all this is kinda sobering but unfortunately, very real.

No comments:

Post a Comment