Friday, August 17, 2012

That Time Again

Been pretty much obsessed with the Olympics the past couple of weeks - how could I not be?

London put on a great great show and hopefully showed the world (and resident Brits) how great Great Britain can be. I was fortunate enough to be able to attend some events (3 football and 1 tennis) - the atmosphere and organisation at all of them were excellent.

29 golds, a total haul of 65 - an epic achievement. Hard to pick which performances I enjoyed most - loved Jessica Ennis, Mo Farah, Bradley Wiggins, Sir Chris Hoy, countless others.

The one gold performance and award that I kept Googling however was the taekwondo gold won by Jade Jones as she hails from the small town in North Wales where I grew up, which has in recent years fallen on hard times. She put Flint on the map, the locals had helped her on the way to become an international standard martial artist and she will now have the leisure centre that me and my sisters used to frequent named after her - sweet!

It wasn't just Team GB - I loved watching all the other athletes from other worlds, Usain Bolt among them - what a character!

Am rather sad that it's all over, although I'll no doubt be tuning in (though not so obsessively) to the Paralympics.

Which brings me to 'that time again' - yes, the start of the football season.

Our football Team GB succumbed to the usual penalty shoot out but I hope some good has rubbed off on the footballers from being amongst other fellow Olympians.

Anyway, for my part - come on Liverpool and in non-league, come on you Fleet!

No comments:

Post a Comment